Preparing for an interview is never easy. Sometimes, it isn’t about how much or little you know. If you are not confident in your skills and knowledge, cracking an interview would not be easy.
On the other hand, some of us get too excited about interviews and forget the basics of our domain. For developers, it is often the basic C++ questions that make a difference in interviews.
Today we have compiled a list of 10 basic C++ questions that every candidate should know about before heading into an interview. So, without further ado, let’s find out these questions.
10 Basic C++ Questions for Tech Interviews
1. What’s the full form of OOPS?
The full form of OOPS is Object Oriented Programming System.
2. What is C++?
- C++ is an object-oriented programming language.
- Bjarne Stroustrup created it in 1985.
- The origins of C++ are in the C increment operator ++
3. What are the benefits of using C++?
- It simplifies memory management.
- It can run on any platform.
- It includes classes, objects, inheritance, polymorphism, and abstraction concepts.
- It has a rich function library.
- It helps build secure programs.
4. What is a class?
A class is a blueprint that reflects the traits and actions of an entity. Defining a class is essentially the same as creating a user-defined data type.
5. What are the differences between a reference and a pointer?
Reference is a temporary variable that acts as an alias for an existing variable. A pointer is a variable that stores a variable’s address.
6. What does a protected access specifier do?
If a class member is protected, the inherited class can access it. Outside of the private and protected members, however, neither is available.
7. Define namespace
The namespace is a logical partition of the code used to prevent naming conflicts.
The namespace specifies the scope in which variables, classes, and functions are declared.
The primary goal of namespace in C++ is to eliminate ambiguity. Ambiguity happens when multiple tasks with the same name occur.
8. Explain the purpose of the keyword volatile
Declaring a variable volatile tells the compiler that it can be altered externally. As a result, the variable reference is not optimised by the compiler.
9. What methods are available for exporting a function from a DLL?
There are two approaches:
- Using the type library in the DLL.
- Using the DLL instance to get a reference to the function.
10. Differentiate between shallow and deep copy
Shallow copy performs bit-by-bit memory dumping from one object to another. Deep copy is copying an object field by field from one object to another. We can get a deep copy by using a copy constructor and or overloading assignment operator.
Interview Tips and Tricks for Techies
In today’s competitive landscape, interviews feel more like battles. However, there are simple things that you can do to prepare yourself for an interview better and remain calm. Here are a few ideas:
- Get a good night’s sleep before the day of the interview. If you are not well-rested, you will not be as alert or focused.
- Do not worry about those who have been interviewed before you. Understand that each person is different and will react to the same situation differently.
- Prepare well for all possible questions, but do not be shy to admit that you do not know the answer to a specific question.
- Look sharp and feel sharp. Even if you are the kind of person who sits in front of their computer and codes all day, put a little effort into making yourself look sharp on the interview day.
- Prepare for the most basic generic questions like Why should we hire you? What are your strengths and weaknesses? And so on.
- Be open about your bigger dreams and ambitions. Interviewers are more likely to love that someone with ambition and drive wants to join their company.
How to Prepare for Interviews
Preparing for interviews is not something you can do overnight. Instead, it results from communicating with others every day, learning about your subject, and developing both competence and confidence.
If you hang out with people who have cracked interviews, you can learn a lot from their first-hand experiences. However, finding people like that in our everyday lives can be difficult.
So when you join a course like the CodeQuotient Supercoders Program, you get to interact with fellow students who have the same aim. On top of that, you get interview-specific assistance from teachers with years of industry experience.
As we already said, much of your success in interviews depends on your mindset. When you learn in an environment geared towards making you better, your confidence increases significantly. In turn, that ends up playing the most important role in an interview.
For more interview advice and tech job market news and trends, head over to the CodeQuotient blog.
Get UGC Approved BCA Degree
And Earn While You Do That
Join CodeQuotient's Software Engineering Program
Study at NAAC A+ Accredited Partner University
Get Paid Internship with Our Hiring Partners to Sponsor Your Fees
100% Placement Assistance